Monday, November 15, 2010

Linkages

I got to realize one of my goals that I set after I learned that I was HIV-positive early this year. That is, to be part of a poz organization that would cater to and assist HIV-positive individuals.

After initial discussions with the famous dyingyoung, who heads Youth Aids Filipinas Alliance (Yafa), I am now one of their consultants/advisers. I will advise them on media relations, care and support.

Yafa caters primarily to HIV-positive youths aged 29 and below. To know more about Yafa, you can visit their website at http://www.youthaidsfilipinas.org or look up their Facebook site by typing yafa in the search bar of that social networking website.

My first interaction with the group's leader and some officers was last October 31 when they had their Halloween party in their office at 2040 Rizal Avenue, Sta. Cruz, Manila. It was a small party but it was fun!

Dyingyoung and I had discussed the terms of reference to cover my consultancy job with the group and to formalize my affiliation with Yafa.

Aside from Yafa, I have also been in touch since last August with the current head of Pinoy Plus Association, the pioneer organization of people living with HIV (PLWHIVs) in the country, and have visited their office in Sta. Cruz, Manila also. I have been briefed about their office's goals and projects and soon, I will be participating in the association's activities.

Pinoy Plus has been in existence for 15 years and the group will be marking its 16th anniversary this month. It is composed of PLHIVs and renders services and support to fellow PLHIVs, aside from engaging in HIV and Aids awareness projects.

I am very happy that I have established linkages with these groups and grateful for their welcome. This shows that when one is HIV-positive, he or she can still be a productive member of the poz community and of society as a whole.

3 comments:

  1. Very good advocacy, JDC. I myself have thought about doing the same, long before I was confirmed HIV-pos, but just couldn't get a head start. I hope to realize it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool, Aries410. Keep up the good work! - Cleric1

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks ubermensch and cleric. :)

    i have no payment for my services rendered to yafa but all in the spirit of volunteerism. :)

    as for pinoy plus, i intend to be as active as possible in their activities when my sked allows it since i have a regular job to attend to.

    @ ubermensch, i can refer you to pinoy plus if you want. :)

    ReplyDelete