Monday, May 16, 2011

Good numbers

For persons living with HIV (PLHIV) like me, numbers are a major factor when it comes to our regular checkups. One of the most important of the tests done like CBC, triglycerides count, and viral load, is the CD4 count, which checks whether one's CD4 or T-helper cells have either decreased or increased in number. The CD4 or T-helper cells are the immune system's fighters against any form of viral or bacterial infection. Since I am immuno-compromised, my CD4 count is in peril of being depleted if I am not taking antiretrovirals or taking any steps to keep myself as healthy as possible, which included managing my stress levels and not get depressed for any reason.

I had my CD4 count last Friday - the third to be done since I was diagnosed in March last year. It also coincided with the anniversary of my first checkup on April 16, 2010 at the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) in Alabang, Muntinlupa City, which is my chosen treatment hub. Since it has been more a year, I needed to undergo the annual checkup like CBC and other tests. The CBC, by the way, is meant to find out if my CBC level has not gone down since one of the effects of taking ARVs is a decrease in the CBC. But I was more interested in learning my CD4 count because I wanted to know if it has increased or decreased in number.

Hereunder is my CD4 count:
April 16, 2010 - 315 (below the 350 threshold which automatically placed me under ARV treatment, which started on April 26, 2010)

October 2010 - 479 (A 164-point jump)

May 2011 - 530 (A 51-point jump)

So I was delighted to learn that my CD4 count had increased further. Although the increase was lesser, I am satisfied with it but I wished it was higher. I guess my regular workout had helped my CD4 go up. I asked a fellow PLHIV how come the increase in my CD4 count was lesser this time, he said a PLHIV who is already accustomed to the ARV would usually have an incremental increase in his CD4 count in succeeding tests unlike in the past or from the time he started taking ARVs.

Three weeks from last Friday, I will ask for my viral load since it is usually available a year after a PLHIV's 1st CD4 count. Hopefully it would show that the virus in my system is already undetectable. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats!

    Do ask for your Viral Load. They take it after the first year. I had my Viral Load last December but they said that there are no reagents. I went to RITM last Thursday and saw that they did the VL count. I'm now undetectable :)

    Another test is the SGPT levels. It looks at how damaged a person's liver is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks trese. yeah i asked for the VL but it will be available three weeks yet from last friday so i will call them sometime middle of next month. i hope my liver is still functioning well.

    ReplyDelete