Thursday, May 5, 2011

Missing the most important woman in my life

On the night of February 13, 2001, the eve of Valentine's Day and after months of suffering, my mother breathed her last in the room we both shared. We stayed in one room because I took it upon myself to take care of her after she became partly paralyzed almost a year before she died as a result of the tumor in her brain and then she became bedridden later on. I was reading a book on my bed when I heard her breathing become shallow and instinctively called out to my younger sister. I vividly remembered telling her "I think it's Mommy time already." My sister and I held our mother's hands and prayed. My sister told our Mom "to go in peace" so she won't suffer anymore and that we, her children and grandchildren, will be all right. And just as we finished praying, she passed away.

Despite the 10 years that have passed since my Mom died, I could still remember in clear detail what happened before and after that evening. And I miss my Mom, more so now after seeing my friends in a social networking site post pictures they have with their mothers as Mother's Day approaches.

In my head, I wondered if God took her already to spare her of the pain she would have felt if she knew about my HIV status.

I take comfort in the thought that my mother is watching over us in Heaven and praying for us as well. And soon, we will be together again.

No comments:

Post a Comment