Wednesday, October 6, 2010

When forgetting can be a good thing

It was on March 26 or six months and one and a half weeks ago when I learned that I had this nasty virus in my system and for the next several weeks after that fateful day, I went through a range of emotions - grief, anger, guilt, self-pity, numbness....been there, done that, so to speak.

Even if I had been counseled and briefed by the nurse who talked to me after I was told of the reactive result of the rapid test, I was scared shit of what's in store for me. Will I live a "normal" life from then on? Am I going to die anytime soon? What will my family and friends say if they knew? How could I have allowed this to happen? So many questions in my mind that needed answers. Good thing my partner was there to comfort me as he continuously assured me that nothing has changed and he is standing by me despite my medical condition.

But everything just fell in the right places and at the right time. I was living a "normal" life again by seeing to it that I adhere to my medical regimen and to a healthy lifestyle. There were minor setbacks but I overcame them. Circumstances happened that allowed me to come out to my family and to selected friends in and out of the gay community and in return, I got so much love and support from them. I have embarked and continue to carry out my personal advocacy for HIV/Aids awareness in my own little way. It warms my heart whenever I am told or when I receive email from pozzies and those who are negative of the virus how much I inspire them after reading my blog. Being able to assist pozzies, especially the new ones who need advice, guidance, assurance and encouragement, makes me happy and bring a smile to my face.

Right now, I can say I have happily embraced my health status. The proof of it is that there are times I even forget that I am HIV-positive. This is one instance when forgetting can be a good thing. It is the minor ailments related to my medical condition and scheduled visits to my treatment hub that remind me of it - that "bring me back to earth."

The bottom-line is that inspite of this challenge, I am moving on with life.

7 comments:

  1. pozzieboy likes this. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ pozzieboy.

    thanks!

    @ posithive

    whatever difficulties, emotional turmoil, physical challenges you are going through right now will pass, believe me. you will come out stronger and more than able to face what's ahead of you, good and bad. :)

    andito lang kami mga friends mo when you are ready to talk. remember that, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. very inspiring

    salamat for being a source of hope

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loved ur blogs, thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello anonymous.

    you're welcome and thank you for taking time to read my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete