Saturday, December 4, 2010

Another moving story - a pozzie's tale

I would like to share with everyone another moving story - this time from a pozzie. After he read the letter from the mother of a person living with HIV (PLWHIV) that I posted here in my blog, he decided to share his tale - one that I can describe as a miracle.

I am also posting my reply to his letter. Read on. :)


Hi Juan dela Cruz,

Greetings! I am a huge fan of your blog and have been reading your entries religiously, seeing i've contracted the virus a few months back. I got touched by one of your latest entries, from the concerned mom who wrote about her experience with her son.

In the spirit of Christmas and sharing, I hope you can post my letter as well. I would like to share my own story, from a son's perspective.

See, I grew up detached from my family; my family had rules, strict rules (we were a conservative bunch- curfews even when i was already working, no going out on Saturdays and Sundays, no friends at home, etc. etc.), that i had a lot of problems with. i became detached and independent, and grew up spending my life locked inside my room, and then later on to my own place. i distanced myself from them ON PURPOSE because i couldnt take the rules, i couldnt take living with them.

We never were a close family, no matter how each of us tried. we were never the share-stuff-about-your-life family who laughs during dinner and watches dvds after. we never talked about stuff, rarely shared jokes.

but since i found out about my test results, things turned. miraculously. seeing that i am not close to my parents, imagine my apprehension about telling them. they are conservative, very strict, and yes again, conservative. i could not reiterate enough how conservative they are. i felt that my sexuality would be one topic that they might not be supportive of, so how then can i tell them i have a virus i got through (irresponsible) sex?

so after a night of drinking, i mustered enough strength (or hello, tipsiness) to spill the bad beans. And boy was i surprised and surprisingly relieved. I was sobbing the entire time and my mom was listening very intently. i was expecting her to cry and to shout and to scream, to react violently to the news, but no. she was very receptive, in control. Was this my mom i was talking to? from then on, a huge burden was lifted from me. i felt relieved.

the next few days were a whirlwind of change. we talked, we conferred. i opened up with them, and to my surprise, they opened up with me as well. i felt a flurry of love and support from them. they began texting me almost every day, and checked up on me. we began to talk about sex, joke about sex, i even began joking with my dad, and even got away calling him gay (as a joke!)

i guess the whole point(s) of this quite lengthy letter is to 1.) thank my parents for being highly loving, despite our family history and 2.) to tell your readers who are too afraid to tell the people in their lives, that there are still miracles, and that mine (for this year, i think) is my parents' love, that no matter what happens, there will be people out there that will support you and love you unconditionally, that the first step is always the scariest, that once you've taken that leap, someone(s) will be there to catch you.

This will be my Christmas gift to myself as well as to my parents, Juan dela Cruz. I hope you can publish this for me.

Thank you and more power to you,
Nondescript_333

---------------------------------------------------------

Hello there Nondescript_333!

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and being an avid fan. I feel like a celebrity. Haha!

I am very happy that I have also touched and inspired you and several others who follow my blog. I am sorry though if I don't get to update it as often as before either because I don't have anything in mind to write about or I am busy with work.

Your moving story is nothing short of a miracle. You are very lucky to have experienced such. This goes to show that miracles still happen in what seems to be impossible circumstances.

I salute you for having the guts to tell your family of your status and I take my hat off to them for dealing with it very well. I also greatly admire your family for the change in attitude toward you. I wish all families of all persons living with HIV (PLWHIV) are the same as yours. You are truly blessed to have them.

I strongly agree with what you said -- "that no matter what happens, there will be people out there who will support you and love you unconditionally, that the first step is always the scariest, that once you've taken that leap, someone will be there to catch you."

Anyway, stay healthy and Godbless you and your family. Mabuhay kayong lahat! :)

Juan dela Cruz

No comments:

Post a Comment