Monday, February 11, 2013

About taking ARVs

"Di ko pa need mag-ARV (antiretroviral). So happy."

So goes a tweet I read from an account of a PLHIV. I have a Twitter account but I am not out with regard my HIV status in that account.

While I am happy for that PLHIV, whose Twitter account I shall not name, that he needs not take ARVs (for now) probably because his CD4 count is still way beyond the threshold of 350, I believe that even if one's CD4 count is still above normal, it is best to take ARVs to make sure that a PLHIV doesn't contract an opportunistic infection (OI) during the lull from one CD4 test to another.

From what I know, in the US, PLHIVs take ARVs even if their CD4 count is way above the threshold. It is only in the Philippines where a PLHIV is required to take ARV already and they have remained healthy with minimal to no incidence of OIs for a long time.

I have been taking ARVs - Lamivudine-Zidovudine and Efavirenz - since April 2010.  So far, I haven't had any serious OI or health setback.

While I do understand that taking ARVs would require a PLHIV's strict adherence to taking it, "an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure", so they say.

I believe that taking ARV, along with regular exercise, a healthy daily diet, getting enough sleep, taking multivitamins, cutting any unhealthy vices like smoking, and keeping oneself happy most of the time (no to depression!) would ensure that a PLHIV's CD4 count remains high.


No comments:

Post a Comment