Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I need iron!

I went to RITM early Tuesday morning for my scheduled complete blood count (CBC) to find out if the Lamivudine + Zidovudine, one of the ARVs I am taking, has not depleted or reduced my hemoglobin level. It has been known to have that side effect. Aside from my scheduled CBC, I also had to get a fresh supply of ARVs since I was running out of stock.

But first, what is hemoglobin? Medicinenet.com defines hemoglobin "as the protein molecule in red blood cells that carries oxygen from the lungs to the body's tissues and returns carbon dioxide from the tissues to the lungs. It is made up of four protein molecules (globulin chains) that are connected together. Each globulin chain contains an important central structure called the heme molecule. Embedded within the heme molecule is iron that transports the oxygen and carbon dioxide in our blood. The iron contained in hemoglobin is also responsible for the red color of blood."

After taking a nap for an hour at home after getting off from work at 6 a.m., I went to RITM and arrived there past 9 a.m. I proceeded to the clinical lab so a blood sample can be extracted from me for the CBC and then I went to the patient's lounge to await the results.

During the wait, I began to itch on my arms and legs and saw red patches appear on the underside of my arms. Oh not, not again! Let this not be a third wave of rashes from the Nevirapine I used to take. I realized later that I was having allergic reaction to the dried fish I had for breakfast earlier. Sigh.

Six hours later, Ate Ana called for me and the doctor on duty informed me that my hemoglogin level has dropped from a little over 150 to the 120s range (the same level as that of a female's!). Tsk tsk. So I was prescribed ferrous sulfate and told to eat green, leafy veggies and animal liver to boost my hemoglobin level. I could take the veggies but not animal liver. Yuck! I also consulted her about my allergy and was prescribed antihistamines.

AA, a fellow pozzie who accompanied a newbie to RITM, told me that my allergy and immune systems are very sensitive and will continue to be that way for the next six months as my blood undergoes reconstitution with the ARVs I am taking so I have to watch carefully what I eat.

The doc said I have to stay away from salty food, poultry, fish, peanuts, milk in the meantime.

My next CBC will be on June 25 and by then, the ferrous sulfate and veggies have worked wonders for my hemoglobin so that my ARV does not have to be replaced by another medicine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

2 comments: