Friday, April 16, 2010

A not-so-good start

I went to the Department of Health-Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (DOH-RITM) in Alabang, Muntinlupa City for my first visit, profiling and have my CD4 count. I was accompanied by "O" of Pinoy Plus and with us also was fellow pozzie, whose codename I forgot though (pardon the memory lapse), who was going to have his CD4 count at RITM.

We then proceeded to Dr. Diytangco's clinic where I met Ate Ana, who welcomed me and her friendly demeanor made me feel so much at ease. The other clinic staff and doctors were also so friendly. So were those in the back office otherwise called as "the lounge."

I was actually excited to have my CD4 count because I was optimistic that I was above the threshold. So after paying the fees and going through the laboratory tests, it was time time for my profiling and I was given verbal instructions on what to do next until my return to RITM on Monday and Thursday next week.

I also met fellow pozzies, who I am unsure if I should name, and they invited me and "O" to have lunch with them at the RITM canteen. After lunch, "O" and I left the RITM and I got home past 2 p.m. I took a shower after enduring the heat outside, prayed the rosary, then slept at past 3 p.m. I woke up at 4:15 p.m. to text Ana for the result of my CD4 count and decided to call her at RITM after awhile, hoping to hear good news. But I was taken aback. My CD4 count is 315, which is below the 350-1215 threshold. So, I have to be on antiretrovirals (ARVs) starting next week. Ana assured me that my CD4 count can go up when I take the ARVs so no worries and I should not become depressed by it. I asked what I should do between now and until next week when I begin taking my ARVs, to which she replied that I should take extra caution in order not to get sick. Eat healthy and GET ENOUGH SLEEP. After our phone conversation, I had difficulty going back to sleep until my partner got home past 6 p.m. I informed him of my CD4 count results and what I need to do.

I decided to go half-day at work and went to the office before 12 midnight. I began researching on ARVs and its adverse side effects to prepare myself for it but I hope I won't experience them.

I hope that my next CD4 count after a few months would have better results.

4 comments:

  1. you'll be fine.... my CD4 is 13. Aside from being cautious with your health, be happy and stay positive... it helps to raise the CD4. Depression I believe lowers ones CD4 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the assurance and advice trese. i appreciate it a lot. i hope your cd4 count goes much higher.

    i hope to meet you one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 315 is good, though it's below the border.. don;'t worry just take care of yourself, sometimes it pays to be OC. i have a friend who's cd is 3, still alive and kicking! there's even 0.

    cheer up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the assurance thechemistryguy. i am a worry-wart at times.

    ReplyDelete