Monday, April 26, 2010

To come out or not, that is the question

I have been toying with the idea of coming out in public regarding my status.

And the main reason is because I want to be an advocate on the HIV/Aids issue, aside from wanting to be a peer educator. I want people to learn a lesson from what happened to me.

But the more I think about it, the more I become hesitant to carry it out because of the risks involved, not to mention the stigma and discrimination that my loved ones and I will face. At RITM, the doctors discourage against coming out in public.

What are your thoughts about this?

3 comments:

  1. it's too early for that... you can be an advocate without immersing your status in public. hello, mars calling the Philippines regarding stigma...

    ReplyDelete
  2. take it slow. i joined a support group here in cebu. and when opportunity strikes to advocate, i would always start with 'i'm helping this ngo that helps people with hiv' then start educating them. i am able to do it without disclosing my status and at the same time, keeping them abreast with the scary statistics of hiv and the options available to these people.

    hi pala.

    anton

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello chemistryguy, anton

    thanks for the replies. i'm still thinking things over.

    ReplyDelete