Wednesday, April 28, 2010

And so it begins

Today marks the start of my medication that will be for a lifetime. Yes, I've been prescribed antiretrovirals (ARVs) already since my CD4 count is below the threshold and when you begin taking ARVs, you are going to take it forever and on time always so the virus won't get resistant to it. :(

I was at RITM this morning so that Dr. E can discuss with me the results of the tests I underwent during my 1st visit last April 16. So far, so good. I have no TB and Hepa B. Thank goodness for that!

Dr. E told me that, yes my 1st CD4 count is 315 - which is below the 350-1215 range that it should be for someone my age. After briefing me on ARVs and what time I should take it, she issued a prescription, which I gave to Ms. Ana. I went to the pharmacy and while waiting for my meds, the reality of my status and taking medicines forever hit me hard like a slap on my face that I felt like crying. I snapped out of it and went back to the clinic where Ana briefed me some more on ARVS, the possible side effects, and what I should do and not do if and when the side effects manifest.

On my way home from RITM, I set the alarm on my cellphones to remind me to take my meds because I didn't want to rely on my memory alone. My memory has been failing a bit the past weeks.

Come to think of it, pozzies now are luckier compared to those who got hit by HIV in the 80s and early 90s when there were no ARVs yet. So thanks to ARVS, they will put this virus in me under control so it won't wreak any more havoc on my immune system.

As I gulp down my meds, let me say: Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Salu!

    Just think of ARVs are vitamins and food supplements... Or like Gluta.. pampaputi!

    ARVs might be a burden but sooner or later, you'll see the good effects of taking it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, my thoughts exactly.

    thanks trese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love seeing their chemical structures :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, the chemist that you are explains your fascination for it. :)

    ReplyDelete